Brookfield7

All content, of both the original Brookfield7.com and this blog, is written from my point of view and is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate at the time it is written. ~ Kyle Prast, Brookfield resident since 1986

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Early spring means early garlic mustard

What a beautiful spring we are having. Though temperatures have retreated a bit from our unseasonable highs, I am enjoying the spring flowers and emerging plants--you can't beat fresh garden asparagus!

But unfortunately, our warm temperatures are also prompting the vile garlic mustard to make its presence known. I just pulled 2 huge garbage bags full from my own yard--and I didn't think I had much at all. So unlike last year, when the stuff was barely visible this early in the season, this year I am finding 18" plants that are beginning to blossom.

Now this isn't all bad. Because other plants are relatively slow growing yet, the garlic mustard sticks out like a sore thumb. I plan on following up in the places I yanked it from to check for regrowth. I will pull the large plants and Roundup the babies.

By the way, the official Mary Knoll Park Weed Out date is Saturday, May 12th, 9am - noon. Judging from my own yard, we won't have to look too closely for the culprits. In the meantime, keep an eye on your home-front for garlic mustard is no respecter of persons.

Past Garlic Mustard Posts with photos:
3rd Annual Weed Out (with photos)
It is worth saving (pictures from Weed Out and wildflowers)
Oh, the shame! (photos and tips for evicting Garlic Mustard)

Weed control links: Garlic Mustard and garlic mustard's pretty cousin, Dame's Rocket. (It can take over native areas too.) Garlic mustard should be thrown in the trash and labeled Garlic Mustard: Do not compost.

Links: Practically Speaking, Fairly Conservative, RandyMelchert, Betterbrookfield, Jay Weber, Vicki McKenna, WisPolitics Quorum Call, Wisconsin Reporter, CNS News, Mark Levin, Breitbart BigGovernment, The Heritage Foundation

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home