Brookfield7

All content, of both the original Brookfield7.com and this blog, is written from my point of view and is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate at the time it is written. ~ Kyle Prast, Brookfield resident since 1986

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Two tidbits from Elmbrook’s Annual meeting.

Resident Bob Hammel took the wind out of the sails of the budget report which bragged that Elmbrook’s budget increases stayed below the cost of living since 1980. Bob then asked the number of students in 1980 compared to 2006. Enrollments were much higher 26 years ago; thus the cost per student went up, not down. Elmbrook kept the increases in check not because of budget restraint, but because of declining enrollment!
Board member Patrick Murphy moved to raise the annual pay for board members from $3,600 to $4,600. Now I am all for saving money, but I believe a workman is worthy of his hire. Meg Wartman did not favor increases--something about not asking the taxpayers to pay more. I wish the board would have that attitude when approving $400,000+ Astroturf football fields or embarking on the costly 4 year kindergarten program. The pay raise failed 18-50. The budget passed 64–6. The vote does not really matter--the actual budget is set in the fall. But aren’t we happy to pay the $71,746,924 next year? It IS for the kids. (OK, I will take the tongue out of my cheek.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home