Brookfield7

All content, of both the original Brookfield7.com and this blog, is written from my point of view and is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate at the time it is written. ~ Kyle Prast, Brookfield resident since 1986

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Guess who turned 50 this year? How about a party?

Barbie, the eternal 20-something fashion doll born in 1959, turned 50 this year. Although Barbie made her debut in March of 1959, the celebrations seem to be continual. (You can tell the baby boom is aging when our toys hit the big 50!)

This week, Barbie collectors and fans are meeting in Washington DC for the National Barbie Doll Collectors Convention's Fiftieth Anniversary Gala party. A friend of mine is there right now celebrating everything Barbie. It sounded like fun.

That got me to thinking...if you have daughters and are looking for something fun to do this summer, why not hold your own Barbie 50th Birthday party?

Invite a few friends over for lunch and don't forget to invite the Barbies too. If it is barbecue / picnic fare, then guests and Barbies dress for that. If your gathering is more like high tea, then the girls and Barbies could don their best. Maybe they could try to dress alike?

Moms could come too--maybe some still have their Barbies--then you could do Barbie Through the Decades.

Barbie is somewhat controversial in some circles, but I really enjoyed mine. I still remember the excitement on the day my sister and I went to the downtown Boston Store to purchase our dolls. The price was $3.00! The outfits in the little catalog/magazine ran $1.00 to $6.00. Most were in the $2.00 - $3.50 range. They were beautifully made.

My sister and I would play Barbies together and with our friends from about 4th grade through Jr. High. Mattel didn't have the Barbie Dream House back then. Instead, we used our imagination and whatever we could find to simulate a house, etc.

Although I was just a child, I was enamored by the attention to detail in the clothing construction and accessories. Pictured are my 2 favorite Barbie outfits: the casual outfit featured real cork mule sandals and blue jeans with top stitching and a zipper fly, the coat and dress ensemble included a purse with comb and brass compact. The compact, the size of an aspirin, was monogrammed with a B and opened to reveal a mirror and powder puff. (Wish I knew where that went!)

I noticed that I have something in common with both Barbie dolls. When I dressed them up for their photos today, I had a hard time getting their pants and dress zippers zipped! Could it be Barbie is suffering from middle age spread too?

Have fun.

Links:
Practically Speaking, Fairly Conservative, Betterbrookfield, RandyMelchert, CNS News, Jay Weber, Mark Levin, Vicki McKenna Jay Weber, The Right View Wisconsin, The Heritage Foundation

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home