Brookfield7

All content, of both the original Brookfield7.com and this blog, is written from my point of view and is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate at the time it is written. ~ Kyle Prast, Brookfield resident since 1986

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Don't laugh, this is serious, Rand Paul is pro choice on toilets!

I think we could all use a little comic relief, so when I saw this caption on the Drudge Report, I had to snicker: Paul wants government hands off his toilet.

That's right. Newly elected Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky (Rep. Ron Paul's son) asked, "If the federal government can support abortion rights, why can't it also support light bulb choice."

I don't mean to diminish the serious side of Rand's inquiry, but it is a good question.

If you have shopped for incandescent light bulbs lately, you probably noticed that some higher wattage models are becoming scarce. (My personal favorite is the 150w large white globe bulb. It gives a nice even bright light for open ceiling fixtures, and because of its large size, the filament doesn't overheat--it lasts a long time. I can only find them at my trusty Elliot's Ace Hardware store.)

The article went on to suggest it was better not to "get [Paul] started about his toilet".

Rand Paul said, “'Light bulbs, refrigerators, toilets, you name it. You can’t go around your house without being told what to buy. You restrict my purchases. You don’t care about my choices. You don’t care about the consumer.''' (I would add phosphate dish-washing detergent to that list--you know, the kind that actually works.)

“'Frankly, my toilets don’t work in my house, and I blame you and people like you who want to tell me what I can install in my house,' Paul said."

As for our toilet, we are fortunate to still have our original model--very dependable.

I have heard stories of flushing tricks though: add a drop or two of hand soap to the water, flush twice (boy, that's a real water saver), throw a piece of toilet paper in at the last minute, etc.

When we still had rental property, we bought a new one for a bathroom we put in. It gave your feet a shower when you flushed!

I am hopeful that the conservatives will be able to repeal some of these anti-choice laws. Republican Senator Mike Enzi already introduced the Better Use of Light Bulbs Act which would put an end to the 2007 restrictions. Go for it guys!

Links: Practically Speaking, Fairly Conservative, RandyMelchert, Betterbrookfield, Jay Weber, Vicki McKenna, CNS News, Mark Levin, Breitbart BigGovernment, The Heritage Foundation

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home