Brookfield7

All content, of both the original Brookfield7.com and this blog, is written from my point of view and is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate at the time it is written. ~ Kyle Prast, Brookfield resident since 1986

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dr. Matt Gibson, please answer the question

A reader sent me this...

This one was my favorite Gibson dodge - what an insult to a senior citizen of our community that pays his wage...

Q: Barb of Brookfield, WI - How do you address the concerns of retirees and seniors, who make up the large majority of the voting population in the district, about their ability to stay in their homes in the face of the massive tax increases we've experienced for school building.

If the referendum passes, I project the school portion of my tax bill will increase by $650, based on the confirmed and projected spending. This will require at least $ 1,000 of pre-tax income to pay for the increases. My retirement pension, after deducting the health insurance premium increase, has gone down to under $ 20,000 a year.

An additional $ 1,000 to pay school tax increases may mean I cannot afford to age in place in my home. I know others in similar situations. It seems that the school board is oblivious and insensitive to what the district voters can really afford.

Not everyone is a public employee with paid health care and automatic pay raises.

Answer: Matt Gibson - The District understands that there will be a tax increase for debt service. This increase is $164 for the first referendum question on an average home and $27 for the second referendum question on an average home. Costs to homes above or below the average may be calculated on the Referendum Calculator Worksheet found on the District website: www.elmbrookschools.org.

THIS DOES NOT ADDRESS THE QUESTION OF HOW SENIORS ARE GOING TO PAY FOR THIS, IT JUST TELLS THEM HOW MUCH THEY WILL PAY!

LINKS:Brookfield7 postings Betterbrookfield, Votenoapril3.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home