Brookfield7

All content, of both the original Brookfield7.com and this blog, is written from my point of view and is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate at the time it is written. ~ Kyle Prast, Brookfield resident since 1986

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The good news is 3 new aldermen; the bad news is....

OK, I admit it, I am stunned. Jeff Speaker won, big time. I wish I could say his win was based on who he is as a leader or the issues, but I don't believe it was.

Kilkenny did not really run against the mayor; instead she ran against the inner circle of the 9 aldermen who gave their endorsements for Speaker and the powerful plan commission.

She was winning, but the mud-slinging was the thing I hadn't factored in.

I wrote a few days ago that quote from Mark Twain, "A good lie will have traveled half way around the world while the truth is putting on her boots." In our case, the lies only had to travel across Brookfield.

I think she ran a clean campaign based on the issues, and of that, I think she can be proud. Obviously, her message resonated with the voters; after all they voted for challengers Carnell, Mellone and Mellone in district 1, 6, and 7. (They all ran on very similar platforms.)

The sad part of it is, Brookfield is the real loser here. With our last remaining greenspace becoming more urbanized all the time, we are nearing the point of no return. When our taxes continue to rise, as they do in urbanized areas, the people who voted the status quo will realize their error.

I appreciate hearing your comments; I am sure Cindy would too.

The vote tallies are not official yet; they will be finalized on Wed. Right now it looks as if we will have 4 new aldermen on the council. Heinrich was voted out as were Brunner and Schellinger who endorsed the mayor.

Jeff Speaker - 6,074
Cindy Kilkenny- 3,746
Write in - 57

Bill Carnell - 672
Dick Brunner - 661

Jerry Mellone - 683
Jim Heinrich - 645

Lisa Mellone - 773
Tom Schellinger - 520

Barbara Roncke -
Tom Schellinger -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home